Saturday, October 24, 2009

catch up - Birmingham

The second weekend of September I was able to go on a professional development trip to Birmingham AL. Other than Florida, which apparently really isn't the south, Birmingham is the furthest south I've been. The sweet tea and BBQ rocked. But the food was secondary - I was able to go to three days of speakers, presentations and field trips regarding the protests and bombings in Birmingham during the 50's and 60's. I was able to meet and chat with Civil Rights workers, activits and survivors of the 16th St. Baptist Church bombings and attend a service at Fred Shuttleworth's church, Bethel Baptist. Neither the pictures nor my descriptions will do it much justice, but I can't wait to incorporate this experience into my classroom.
Kelly Ingram park where Bull Connor used water hoses and dogs to dislodge protesters. We weren't able to see the place where he jailed hundreds of children for marching downtown.





16th St. Baptist Church where four girls, preparing for a children's service, were killed in 1963 and Bob Cherry, one of the bombers, who was finally prosecuted in 1998



1 comment:

Disclaimer said...

cool...send some more of these photos my way would you Ian? I could use them for my class...also...you still need to send us Cape Cod photos...